At just before a quarter to eleven on the night of Monday 12th May, a fire occurred in a house in Chelmsford, Essex. Essex Fire and Rescue Service mobilised two appliances to the incident.
It is reported that a fire had started in the lower of a set of bunk beds in a first floor bedroom of the two storey terraced house. Upon being alerted, the occupier tackled the fire with saucepans of water but as the heat from the fire rose, it activated one sprinkler head positioned in the bedroom. Though the fire was shielded, it is understood that no fire-fighting action was needed by attending crews due to the actions of the occupier and sprinkler system.
The property is one of three in a housing association managed terrace fitted with mains fed, BS9251 sprinklers.
Report courtesy of National Fire Sprinkler Network.